Merriam-Webster defines celebrate in several ways.
1. to mark something by festivities or other deviation from routine
2. to observe a notable occasion with festivities
I’ve never thought about celebrating when I reach goals. However, upon reflection I realized that when I worked for others we often celebrated our milestones. It got me thinking, “Why should we no longer get the fun as entrepreneurs?” But somewhere along the way, I guess I thought well if it is basically just me why bother. Now I understand that it is important to do this for myself.
So here are the tips on taking time to celebrate my accomplishments that I will be working on in the coming weeks.
- Decide reward ahead of time – At first, I thought this was silly. Why should I pick out how I am going to reward myself before I even get started? But then I realized that it not only gives me something to look forward to, but it makes sure I have a plan for when I reach the goal. The plan will make celebrating a given about achieving the goal not an afterthought.
- Do it – I have found myself now taking the time to reward interim steps towards my goals. Especially the ones that are hard or time-consuming. Taking time to pause even briefly to recognize progress makes it that much sweeter.
Again, this is the part where you the reader come in. Please take a moment to answer these questions in the comments below or on our FB page. Let’s start a real dialog on these words and how they impact us and how we want them to impact us.
- How do you think celebrating could help you?
- How do you plan to celebrate your achievements?
By: Amy Matthews, CEO, AMI LC